Muslim man found dead after meeting reporters

YANGON – A Muslim man  has been found dead in northern Rakhine State two days after meeting reporters on a government-sponsored trip to the conflict-hit area. 

Colonel Thet Naing told Frontier that the body of U Shu Na Myar, 41, from Ngakhuya village in Maungdaw Township was found decapitated 200 metres from his home at 2pm on December 23. He had been reported missing on December 22. No suspects have yet been arrested. 

On December 21, Shu Na Myar had spoken to journalists who were visiting the area on a government-arranged trip to assess the situation.

The area has been closed to independent media since shortly after Muslim militants launched coordinated attacks on Border Guard Police outposts on October 9. The military has since responded with “clearance operations” aimed at apprehending militants and recovering weapons taken in the October 9 attacks. Rights groups have alleged that soldiers have committed rights abuses during the operations, allegations that the government and military both deny.

The media trip was arranged in response to the allegations, with representatives of 13 private and state media organisations invited. Frontier was not one of the groups invited on the trip.

Support more independent journalism like this. Sign up to be a Frontier member.

Ko Aye Myint, a Muslim resident of Ngakhuya, said he had translated for the journalists when they visited the village. He confirmed that Shu Na Myar met the journalists.

He said the family of the missing man reported that about midnight that day, a group surrounded their house. Frontier could not independently confirm this claim.

“I don’t know exactly what happened,” Aye Myint said. “I just know that when I asked his family in the morning he had disappeared.”

U Sithu Aung Myint, journalist and commentator who went on the trip, said that Shu Na Myar and other village elders told the journalists that they had not seen any evidence of Muslims being killed or beaten.

“When police seize some suspected [militants], they normally bring them to village elders to identify them,” he said. “They said they didn’t see any that had been beaten or hurt,” said Sithu Aung Myint

Villagers said police regularly visited Ngakhuya because two militants killed in the October 9 attacks had come from the village.

Additional reporting by Kyaw Phone Kyaw

More stories

Latest Issue

Stories in this issue
Myanmar enters 2021 with more friends than foes
The early delivery of vaccines is one of the many boons of the country’s geopolitics, but to really take advantage, Myanmar must bury the legacy of its isolationist past.
Will the Kayin BGF go quietly?
The Kayin State Border Guard Force has come under intense pressure from the Tatmadaw over its extensive, controversial business interests and there’s concern the ultimatum could trigger fresh hostilities in one of the country’s most war-torn areas.

Support our independent journalism and get exclusive behind-the-scenes content and analysis

Stay on top of Myanmar current affairs with our Daily Briefing and Media Monitor newsletters.

Sign up for our Frontier Fridays newsletter. It’s a free weekly round-up featuring the most important events shaping Myanmar