Digital Editor, Frontier Myanmar
As our Digital Editor you will lead the digital strategy of the Frontier newsroom. Your role will include overseeing our website, membership programme and other digital reader revenue streams, and bringing your expertise in analytics and data journalism to enhance and grow our online products.
You will be joining Frontier at an exciting time, both for our organisation and for the country. The November election is fast approaching, and you’ll be involved in shaping our online coverage of the vote and the transition in 2021 to a new government. In the newsroom, we’ve recently celebrated our fifth birthday, launched a new website and doubled the size of our reporting team. After launching Myanmar’s first membership programme in January, we’re looking for new ways to grow, and you’ll be at the forefront of driving that growth.
You’ll be deeply involved in every aspect of the newsroom – from writing, editing and publishing stories, to shaping the direction of our digital journalism, including through the use of data. You’ll also develop and implement strategies for increasing our online readership and building out our membership programme, including by improving our existing products, and developing new products and revenue streams.
- Editing our Daily Briefing, a daily newsletter for members on current affairs, and Frontier Fridays, a weekly newsletter
- Managing publication of articles on the Frontier website and on social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Working closely with our developers on the design and evolution of our website and development of a progressive web app
- Managing our MailChimp account, including analytics, newsletters, trigger emails, and the design of new templates
- Proactively testing new reader revenue strategies, including AB testing, refining onboarding/user journey flows and processes and developing our tech stack
- Writing community-based and promotional content for our membership programme, including marketing emails, surveys and behind-the-scenes newsletters
- Building relationships with external partners and donors and looking for/securing new funding and collaboration opportunities
- Leading strategic, transformative digital initiatives to ensure we’re staying ahead of our competitors and reaching and engaging our audiences, across multiple platforms and channels
- At least five years’ experience as a journalist and/or editor, ideally including several years in Myanmar or elsewhere in Southeast Asia
- At least two years’ experience in digital and/or data journalism
- Keen attention to detail and experience fact-checking
- Knowledge of Myanmar’s politics, culture and business environment
- Experience managing a team and meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated experience running a website and managing social media platforms
- Proven data literacy and ability to use analytics and data to drive decision making
- Experience using marketing platforms, ideally MailChimp
- Familiarity with reader revenue models, including membership programmes
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team, juggling a variety of tasks
- Ability to work sensitively in a multi-cultural newsroom
- Strong spoken and written English
- Experience in a marketing or communications role, or of growing a digital audience and building engagement
- Visual, interactive and/or data journalism experience
- Experience working in a high-pressure and/or high-risk environment
Social media manager: Doh Athan
Mission: In Myanmar, Fondation Hirondelle is supporting a number of media projects with Frontier Myanmar including Doh Athan (‘Our Voice’), a weekly radio programme and podcast. Regular radio, podcast and video productions are made and shared via multiple platforms including Facebook, Youtube, iTunes, Soundcloud and on the web.
The Social Media Manager is the interface between the public and the Doh Athan radio/podcast/video team via social media. In consultation with the Senior Producer and the Asia Regional Representative, he/she develops a social media strategy to increase engagement with the team’s content; publishes the content produced by Frontier’s media production team in the various formats used (website, Facebook, Youtube, Soundcloud, etc.). The Social Media Manager passes on relevant information and comments seen on social networks to the team. He/she develops Doh Athan’s reputation and profile on social by targeting audiences through boosting of posts, stimulating discussion and developing interactivity with other users. He/she works with the community of Facebook users, identifies “influencers”, moderates comments and manages a budget for boosting of posts strategically to maximise impact. He/she regularly reports on the presence and evolution of Doh Athan and its products on the web and social media.
The mission of the Social Networks Manager is in line with the statutory, ethical, strategic and regulatory framework of Fondation Hirondelle and the Studio Tamani project.
- Line manager: Fondation Hirondelle’s Asia Regional Representative
- Operational responsibility: Senior Producer
- Functional relationships: Doh Athan team; Frontier Myanmar social media team
External relations: Myanmar media and civil society organisations; humanitarian and human rights organisations.
The person in charge of social networks:
- Develops a documented social media strategy for all projects developed by the production team, including targets, methods and weekly activities
- Writes for the web and publishes on social networks the content produced by the production team as well as unique posts which inform and engage audiences on the topics we are exploring
- Ensures audience reach and engagement using boosting, content management and discussion
- Manages a budget for online promotion
- Ensures the moderation of comments (with reference to documented editorial guidance).
- Responds to comments that require it and transmits to the project team any publicly-raised concerns.
- Provides a regular report of published work, analytics and analysis of what is working and not working on social networks.
- Monitors local, regional and national trends in social media including hot topics, influencers, civil society, government and other actors
- Develops strategies and campaigns to reverse the effects of disinformation
- Makes recommendations for increasing the number of engagements and reach on social media.
- May produce occasional Facebook Live events, polls, campaigns and other social media activity
- Contributes as needed to translation work, reports and any other activity of the Doh Athan team as requested by their supervisor.
- University degree in media, journalism or communications
- At least 5 years experience managing social media feeds in a professional setting
- Experience writing and executing Social Media strategy
- Demonstrated practice in growing Facebook followings, managing online conversations, and improving engagement
- Understanding of facebook analytics
- High quality spoken and written English
- High quality spoken and written Burmese
To apply, please send a CV, cover letter and work samples to Ma Nang Maisy Kyaw at email@example.com before August 20 at 5pm.
Established in 2015, Frontier Myanmar is an unbiased voice in transitional Myanmar. It reaches hundreds of thousands of readers a month through its English and Burmese-language websites.
Over the past five years Frontier has built up a reputation for quality journalism in a difficult environment. It focuses on delivering fresh, in-depth reporting from all corners of Myanmar, making space for a range of voices and opinions, and setting high editorial standards, while seeking to bring unheard and moderate voices into the national dialogue.
Frontier’s staff is overwhelmingly national, and it is an important training ground for young Myanmar journalists. Its reporting was recognised in 2017, 2018 and 2019 by the Society of Publishers in Asia, the region’s most prestigious media awards.