Rohingya man sentenced to death for raid on police post


YANGON — Authorities have sentenced a Rohingya man to death for leading raids on police border posts that sparked a deadly military crackdown in Rakhine State, police said on Monday.

Hundreds from the Muslim minority are thought to have died and tens of thousands have fled to Bangladesh since the army launched “clearance operations” four months ago to find the attackers.

Sittwe police chief Yan Naing Lett said the town’s court, had sentenced the leader of the raid on the Kotankauk border post to death on Friday.

“He was sentenced to death on 10 February at Sittwe court for intentional murder,” Yan Naing Lett told AFP.

Support more independent journalism like this. Sign up to be a Frontier member.

“He participated in the attacks and led them, and planned them with others. He is one of 14 attackers who were detained in Sittwe Township,” the officer said, naming the man as Mamahdnu Aka Aula.

The other 13 people also appeared in court but have yet to be sentenced, he added.

Than Tun, the leader of an aid organisation operating in northern Rakhine, confirmed the sentence, adding: “He is the first one to face such action since the attack.”

Myanmar’s government said hundreds of Rohingya militants carried out raids on three posts on the Bangladesh border on October 9, killing nine police in a series of coordinated attacks.

The International Crisis Group think-tank has said the attackers were a Saudi-backed group called Harakah al-Yaqin, which it said had spent years recruiting and training fighters in Bangladesh and northern Rakhine.

The sentencing comes days after a blistering report from the UN accused Myanmar’s troops and police of carrying out a campaign of rape, torture and mass killings of Rohingya.

Based on interviews with hundreds of escapees in Bangladesh, investigators said the military’s “calculated es/jquery_update/replace/policy of terror” very likely amounted to ethnic cleansing.

Several hundred Rohingya have also been detained, the UN report said, describing how they were stripped, beaten, tortured and deprived of food and water.

Myanmar’s government has pledged to investigate the allegations after spending months dismissing similar reports from international media and rights groups as “fake news”.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

More stories

Latest Issue

Stories in this issue
Who gets to vote?
For Muslim communities in rural Mandalay Region, the right to vote is at the mercy of exclusionary laws and a bureaucracy steeped in discrimination.
Defaming democracy
If the government really wants to introduce a fair framework for defamation, it needs to overhaul or replace all six related laws.

Stay on top of Myanmar current affairs with our Daily Briefing and Media Monitor newsletters

Our fortnightly magazine is available in print, digital, or a combination beginning at $80 a year

Sign up for our Frontier Fridays newsletter. It’s a free weekly round-up featuring the most important events shaping Myanmar