Police crack down on protest in Loikaw against divisive statue


YANGON — Police fired rubber bullets into a crowd of several thousand demonstrators in eastern Myanmar on Tuesday, activists said, as protests mount over a new and controversial statue.

The bronze structure depicts Bogyoke Aung San on horseback and was unveiled early this month in the capital of Kayah State despite strong opposition.

Aung San is widely revered by the majority ethnic Bamar population as an independence hero for his role in the struggle against British colonial rule.

But the general, who was assassinated before independence in 1948, is viewed less favourably among many ethnic minority groups, who see him as a symbol of Bamar domination.

Support more independent journalism like this. Sign up to be a Frontier member.

On Tuesday, several thousand people marched to the Kayah State parliament only to be blocked by police in riot gear who were lined up behind rolls of barbed wire.

One protest leader, Khun Myo Hlaing Win, told AFP by phone that 10 people had been injured after police fired rubber bullets into the crowd. 

“They attacked unarmed people,” he said. “This should not happen under a democratic government.”

Images showed medics cleaning up blood streaming from rubber bullet wounds of dazed-looking protesters, many dressed in local traditional red woven garments.

Statues of Aung San have been defaced in border states and the government’s plan to rename a bridge after him triggered mass protests in Mon State in 2017.

“We want to build statues of our own heroes, not of the General [Aung San],” Myo Hlaing Win said.

Local police in Kayah State, located on the border with Thailand, could not be reached for comment.

The protest was symbolically held on Union Day, a public holiday meant to celebrate the nation’s unity.

So far 82 protesters have been arrested in Kayah State since last July, when plans for the statue were first announced. Most of those have been detained in the last fortnight. 

If convicted, they could face up to six months in jail while the protest leaders could be sentenced to up to two years with hard labour.

“These protests were peaceful and lawful,” said CEO of Fortify Rights Mr Matthew Smith in a statement over the weekend, calling for the government to end the crackdown.

“No one should spend any time in court or behind bars for exercising their human rights,” Smith said.

A further protest was due to take place in downtown Yangon on Tuesday afternoon.

More stories

Latest Issue

Stories in this issue
Myanmar enters 2021 with more friends than foes
The early delivery of vaccines is one of the many boons of the country’s geopolitics, but to really take advantage, Myanmar must bury the legacy of its isolationist past.
Will the Kayin BGF go quietly?
The Kayin State Border Guard Force has come under intense pressure from the Tatmadaw over its extensive, controversial business interests and there’s concern the ultimatum could trigger fresh hostilities in one of the country’s most war-torn areas.

Support our independent journalism and get exclusive behind-the-scenes content and analysis

Stay on top of Myanmar current affairs with our Daily Briefing and Media Monitor newsletters.

Sign up for our Frontier Fridays newsletter. It’s a free weekly round-up featuring the most important events shaping Myanmar