Blue badge of distinction honours Bogyoke Market

By SU MYAT MON | FRONTIER

YANGON — Bogyoke Aung San Market has been honoured with a blue plaque that recognises the historic and architectural significance of the second most popular tourist destination in the commercial capital.

Yangon Region Chief Minister U Phyo Min Thein presided over the installation ceremony on January 20, cutting a ribbon and using auspicious Eugenia leaves to sprinkle water over the plaque, on a wall near the main entrance to the market.

It is the 16th blue plaque to be attached to buildings of historic importance in the commercial capital under a project launched by the Yangon Heritage Trust and the Yangon City Development Committee in 2013.

Built in 1926 under British rule, the bazaar was initially called Scott’s Market after a Municipal Administrator, Mr Gavin Scott. Its name was changed during the Japanese occupation to Yan Naing Market in honour of Bo Yang Naing, one of the Thirty Comrades. It became known as Bogyoke Aung San Market after independence.

Support more independent journalism like this. Sign up to be a Frontier member.

The blue plaques project is aimed at creating awareness among residents and visitors of the historic value of significant heritage buildings in Yangon, YHT director Daw Moe Moe Lwin told Frontier.

“We should maintain the historic sights of Yangon to have a more beautiful city,” she said.

A balance of heritage buildings and modern architecture would help to create a richer, more attractive environment in Yangon, Moe Moe Lwin said.

As well as buildings and other landmarks, the plaques are also used to mark the addresses of significant figures in Myanmar’s history.

The blue plaques being installed on buildings in Yangon follow a tradition begun in London in 1867 that has spread throughout the world.

Yangon buildings bearing the blue badge of distinction include the former Rowe & Co department store, known as the “Harrods of the East”; City Hall, which is regarded as one of the finest examples of syncretic Myanmar architecture; the Armenian Apostolic Church of St John the Baptist built in 1766; and the Central Fire Station, one of the oldest buildings in the city being used for its original purpose.

By Su Myat Mon

By Su Myat Mon

Su Myat Mon joined Frontier in 2016 after working for The Irrawaddy as an intern. Her interests include travelling and writing.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

More stories

Latest Issue

Stories in this issue
Shan farmer’s killing leaves villagers burning with anger
After the Tatmadaw gunned down a farmer, more than 10,000 people marched in protest.
Democracy without the dividend
It’s taking over newspaper columns, Facebook feeds and teashop chatter: Myanmar’s November 8 election has quite clearly replaced the COVID-19 pandemic as the national obsession.

Stay on top of Myanmar current affairs with our Daily Briefing and Media Monitor newsletters

Our fortnightly magazine is available in print, digital, or a combination beginning at $80 a year

Sign up for our Frontier Fridays newsletter. It’s a free weekly round-up featuring the most important events shaping Myanmar