A protester holds a sign calling for the release of detained Myanmar civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi during a demonstration against the military coup in Yangon on March 7. (AFP)
A protester holds a sign calling for the release of detained Myanmar civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi during a demonstration against the military coup in Yangon on March 7. (AFP)

Aung San Suu Kyi trial delayed after bloodiest day in Myanmar

The ousted civilian leader’s lawyer told reporters the delay is due to “legal wrangling”, after the military government declared martial law in six Yangon townships in which it had brutally cracked down on demonstrations the night before.

Myanmar’s ousted civilian leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was set to appear in court on Monday, after dozens of people were killed in the bloodiest day since the military seized power more than six weeks ago.

At least 44 protesters were killed on Sunday as security forces cracked down on anti-military demonstrations, taking the total death toll to more than 120, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners monitoring group.

Protesters demanding the release of Aung San Suu Kyi and the restoration of democracy have taken to the streets across Myanmar every day for around six weeks despite the military administration’s increasingly forceful attempts to quell the dissent.

Sunday saw violent clashes between security forces and protesters and the torching of several Chinese-owned factories in a textile-producing district of Yangon, as many protesters believe Beijing to be supportive of the military rulers.

The AAPP on Monday said six more deaths had been confirmed to add to an overnight toll of 38, making Sunday the deadliest single day since the military seized power on February 1.

Court hearing held up

The Yangon court hearing for Aung San Suu Kyi – who spent more than 15 years under house arrest during previous military rule – was scheduled for 10am but the start was delayed by legal wrangling, her lawyer Khin Maung Zaw told AFP.

The Nobel laureate faces at least four charges: possessing unlicensed walkie-talkies; violating coronavirus restrictions; breaching telecommunications laws; and intent to cause public unrest.

Military authorities have also accused her of accepting illegal payments of $600,000 in cash as well as a large quantity of gold – allegations her lawyer says are “groundless”.

“The ruling junta has showed its teeth and taken its mask off … they are showing their true self,” Khin Maung Zaw said of Sunday’s violence.

Khin Maung Zaw has complained he has not been allowed to meet Suu Kyi, who has been in custody since the coup, though he said the 75-year-old appeared in good health at her last court appearance, by video link, on March 1.

Monday saw four more Yangon townships put under martial law – adding to two subjected to the measures on Sunday – while mobile internet connections appeared to have been shut down.

The declaration of martial law means anyone arrested in the six townships can face trial by military tribunal rather than civilian courts, with sentences ranging from three years’ hard labour to execution.

The authorities have throttled the internet every night for several weeks, normally restoring services in the morning, but monitoring service Netblocks said mobile data networks were kept offline Monday.

Chinese factories attacked

The international community is growing ever more alarmed at the bloodshed, but so far the generals have shown no signs of heeding calls for restraint.

The UN’s top rights expert on Myanmar, Tom Andrews, tweeted that he was “heartbroken/outraged” at Sunday’s events.

“Junta leaders don’t belong in power, they belong behind bars,” he wrote.

“Their supply of cash & weapons must be cut now. I appeal to UN member states to heed my call to act.”

The news that Yangon’s massive Hlaing Tharyar township and the neighbouring Shwepyithar Township were being put under martial law came on state media Sunday night.

The move came after protesters and security forces clashed violently and five factories – several of them Chinese-owned – in Hlaing Tharyar, a garment-producing district, were razed.

Security forces opened fire on demonstrators wielding sticks and knives, and using cut-out trash cans as shields.

State-run television confirmed on Monday that a police officer was shot dead in the city of Bago, 60 kilometres (37 miles) northeast of Yangon, during a protest.

Beijing’s embassy in Myanmar issued a statement condemning the actions of “destroyers” and urging police to “guarantee the security” of Chinese businesses.

The UN envoy for Myanmar, Christine Schraner Burgener, strongly condemned Sunday’s bloodshed, while the former colonial power Britain said it was “appalled” by the use of force “against innocent people”.

Last week Andrews, the UN special rapporteur on rights in Myanmar, said there was growing evidence that the junta was engaging in crimes against humanity – including murder, forced disappearances and torture.

The human rights campaign group Amnesty International has also accused the military of using battlefield weapons on unarmed protestors and carrying out premeditated killings.

More stories

Latest Issue

Stories in this issue
Myanmar enters 2021 with more friends than foes
The early delivery of vaccines is one of the many boons of the country’s geopolitics, but to really take advantage, Myanmar must bury the legacy of its isolationist past.
Will the Kayin BGF go quietly?
The Kayin State Border Guard Force has come under intense pressure from the Tatmadaw over its extensive, controversial business interests and there’s concern the ultimatum could trigger fresh hostilities in one of the country’s most war-torn areas.

Support our independent journalism and get exclusive behind-the-scenes content and analysis

Stay on top of Myanmar current affairs with our Daily Briefing and Media Monitor newsletters.

Sign up for our Frontier Fridays newsletter. It’s a free weekly round-up featuring the most important events shaping Myanmar